Vision and Values
These are the values we adhere to, in order to accomplish the New Standard we promise.
One Energy's Core Values
One Energy believes we can fundamentally improve the power grid by delivering high quality, low cost, Wind for Industry® projects to industrial energy users. We believe we can accomplish this by adhering to our Values and that in accomplishing this we will set a New Standard for how companies like us operate.
- You understand the concept of responsibility
- You embrace and accept blame and learn from mistakes
- You understand the immense responsibility you have to our customers, investors, communities, and team members
- You can be trusted
- You honor your commitments
- You are courageous
- You can identify and articulate risk in all its forms
- You make great decisions for One Energy
- You can explain why you made your decisions
- You make tough decisions without excessive agonizing
- You take smart risks
- You think strategically
- You seek what is best for One Energy (rather than yourself or your group)
- You are humble when searching for the best ideas
- You make time to help colleagues
- You share information openly and proactively
- You are known for honesty and directness
- You only say things about fellow employees you would say to their face
- You are honest about your mistakes and shortcomings
- You are honest about One Energy’s mistakes and shortcomings
- You question actions inconsistent with our values
- You ask for help when you need it
- You inspire others with your thirst for excellence
- You care intensely about One Energy’s success
- You celebrate wins (yours, your team’s, One Energy’s)
- You are persistent
- You believe One Energy is doing something grand
- You tell our story and can explain our vision in your own words
- You accomplish an incredible amount of important work
- You consistently demonstrate strong performance
- Your colleagues rely upon you
- You focus on great results rather than on process
- You exhibit bias-to-action, and avoid analysis-paralysis
- You are consistently able to deliver solutions
- You re-conceptualize problems to discover practical solutions
- You challenge everything
- You eliminate complexity
- You are an inventor
- You are a professor, not a salesman
- You are concise and articulate in speech and writing
- You encourage and respond well to different points of view
- You calmly accept constructive confrontation
- You enthusiastically educate others
- You are approachable
- You learn from new processes and continually improve on past work
- You identify and eliminate waste in all its forms
- You can distinguish between short-term acceptable solutions and long-term needs
- You identify root causes when solving problems
- You never settle for industry standard
- You learn quickly and eagerly
- You seek to understand our strategy, market, customers, and suppliers
- You are driven to be an expert in your core field
- You vigorously pursue knowledge both inside and outside your job
- You are an asset on a team for the “unknown problem”
A New Standard
SAFETY AND QUALITY ARE ALWAYS FIRST
We set the highest standards possible for safety and quality. We enable our employees, customers, and suppliers to live up to them and then hold them accountable. We have a written safety plan and make sure everyone who works for us understands and follows it. We make sure we have the best training possible. We never compromise on quality. The customer is making a 20 year investment. Our quality has to be beyond reproach. There are going to be mistakes, but they need to be corrected and openly acknowledged and used as a learning tool so we are constantly improving.
BE PROFESSORS, NOT SALESMEN
Salesmen sell a product. We conduct ourselves as professors who teach the customer about wind energy and offer them objective, verifiable information. If wind energy is right in a particular location, it will sell itself. We give customers the whole truth and separate opinions from verifiable facts and standards.
MAKE OUR CUSTOMERS SMARTER THAN THE COMPETITION'S EXPERTS
When we talk to our customers, the goal is to provide all information in a manner that helps customers understand it well enough to make an educated decision about wind energy. Our customers should be so confident in the reasoning and facts behind their decision, they cannot be tricked or manipulated by the “expert salesmen” of our competitors. Our customers should expect and demand a high standard and we encourage our customers to talk to our competition. As long as we continue to set a new standard in the industry, our customers will talk to the competition and then return, confident that they are making the right decision.
WORK WITH MANUFACTURERS TO GIVE OUR CUSTOMERS THE BEST PRODUCTS POSSIBLE
Our loyalty is to our customers and the industry, not to the manufacturers. We challenge our suppliers to deliver the best product possible. If they can’t, we find a new supplier. The suppliers who are setting high safety, quality, and performance standards will welcome this challenge. We constantly work with manufacturers to improve their product, so we are always providing better options to our customers. We also understand there is not a one-size-fits-all turbine and the manufacturer of the best 1.5 MW turbine may not have the best 2.5 MW turbine.
MAKE WIND HASSLE FREE
The largest obstacle for companies who want to pursue on-site generation wind energy for their facility is that all of the grants, regulations, permitting, interconnect agreements, contracts, and other issues make the project more of a hassle than it is worth. We offer true one-stop solutions for our customers. We handle all of the paperwork and remove all of the hassle so all our customers have to do is decide if the project works for them based on their goals and then tell us to make it happen. Our customers have enough to do already; we will take care of all the steps to complete their wind project.
BE AVAILABLE AND BE HONEST
Our customers are busy people involved in many different types of industries. They may not have time to talk about the project from 9-5, Monday through Friday. We need to be available early mornings, late evenings, and weekends. When our customers have the time to talk with us, we will make the time to talk with them. Our customers shouldn’t hesitate to call us at 7 pm on a Saturday. We give our customers the respect of being honest. Sometimes the truth may not be the answer they want to hear, but it is always what they deserve to hear.
CHARGE A FAIR PRICE AND GET PAID FOR OUR WORK
This industry is riddled with companies making ridiculous profits at the expense of their customers. Maybe it is because they are only doing one or two projects a year or maybe it is because they are greedy. It doesn’t matter, because we will not do that. Yes, we are in this business to make money. In most cases we make money on both the sale of the turbine and the installation. We wouldn’t be providing our services if we weren’t making money. That being said, we will do enough installations in a year that this is not a short-term game for us. If we price-gouge on one project, we are hurting our long-term profitability because we are hurting the industry. Depending on the risk and specifics of the project, our margins will vary, but they will always be fair. Because we charge a fair price, we expect to be paid in a timely manner for our work. When the customer owes us a payment, we expect to get it. If we provide leniency in this arena, then we are not being fair to our other customers.
MAKE DECISIONS FOR THE LONG TERM
It is easy to make money today. We could lie, cheat, manipulate, sell a substandard product, or hide a defect. That is not what we are about. We are here to help companies better manage their business by controlling the cost of energy. We are here to help businesses use utility-scale wind turbines to become more competitive and enable flexibility to focus on long-term goals. We measure every decision based on what will be best for the long-term future of the customer and the industry.
NEVER SETTLE FOR THE INDUSTRY STANDARD
The first reality is that there is no industry standard. Everyone in the utility-scale wind industry is trying to do things their own way and everyone has their own “truths” about the way things should be done. There are very few published standards for Retail Wind Turbines and most of them were written by people with a financial interest in them being written a certain way. Yes, one should read the standards — but treat them as minimums. We need to deliver a product that will stand up to commercial standards where millions of dollars are at stake. We need to deliver a product that in itself becomes a standard.
We don’t just think outside the box, we think outside the room the box is in. When someone tells us something, we challenge it. When someone quotes a standard, we ask to see it. When someone tells us something can’t be done, we don’t accept it. We expect our customers to do the same with us. The only way our customers can truly understand the difference between us and the competition is to challenge both us and them.
Download a printable PDF version of One Energy’s New Standard in Distributed Generation Wind (our promise to our customers).